Monday, August 27, 2007

About Me

I see my life life as both an inward and an outward journey and that this rhythm of inhale and exhale is what evokes growth, keeps me engaged, and makes life interesting. On my inward journey, I am focused on Advaita Vedantism. In my outward journey, I engage around issues of poverty and social justice.

I believe that we need community to become fully ourselves and that it requires a concerted commitment to remain with people through thick and thin to develop as we should. Meaning often arises in the context of these relationships. As a Unitarian Universalist, my church is one important aspect of my community. My workplace is another and the Seattle Integral Community is becoming another node for me.

By day I am an estate planning lawyer. I tend to do a great deal of work around how estate planning can foster healthy, rather than unhealthy, relationships to wealth through structural intervention and a focus on holistic lawyering.

I have also been honored to be named as consultant for the Pacific Northwest District. I work with churches around fundraising, religious education for adults, strategic planning and leadership development.

I am the husband to a wonderful woman. My wife, Marcia, is a psychologist. We have been married 30 years. We have two terrific children. Our daughter who is 15 and our son, who is 23.

I enjoy cycling, film, yoga, Italian cooking and chess.

My educational background, which some may care about:

  • Stanford University Law School, J.D., 1988
  • Fuller Theological Seminary, M.Div., 1979
  • UC Santa Barbara, BA, Sociology, 1976

Namaste,

Matt